Dr Suchita Karthik
Consultant Founder Mind In sight – Leeds, Mindfulness (MBCT, MBSR) and Wellness Practitioner and Trainer, CBT Coach & Lifestyle Medicine Advocate, Brain Health Promoter, Blogger, Trustee Leeds Caring hands, (UKCMM accredited Mindfulness Practitioner and Trainer) https://mindfulnessteachers.org.uk/user/drsuchitakarthik/
- As a medical professional, I am passionate about caring for and helping people. I aim to integrate Lifestyle medicine, Mindfulness based and cognitive behavioural therapeutic (CBT) approaches to enhance individual health and wellbeing to help patients better manage mental and physical and gut health by taking control of stress, anxiety, health related worries, depression, IBS, sleep deprivation, diet and chronic pain.
- I am a Faculty member and Mindfulness teacher at WellbeingMind
(My other qualifications: MBBS, MD, FRCPath)
- You can also find me here:
- Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/mindinsightleeds/
- My passion for health and wellbeing led me to develop this role so that I can empower people to take control over their lives – provide techniques to cope better with life’s stressors and reduce the intensity of factors contributing to poor mental and physical health, in order to lead a healthy, more fulfilling life.
- My journey began as a quest to improve overall health and wellbeing whilst working as a NHS consultant. I have attained mindfulness teacher training qualification from Mindfulness Now at St. Johns College Oxford, affiliated to the licensing body – UK College of Mindfulness Meditation. http://mindfulnessnow.org.uk/
- I am a registered/licensed member of UK College of Mindfulness Meditation (UKCMM) and follow good practice ethics. The British Psychological Society approved teacher training course has equipped me with the knowledge and skills to deliver mindfulness and its techniques to a high standard, including mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT), which I incorporate routinely in my practice. I have also completed two cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) courses and MBCT draws on several CBT techniques, in the form of talking therapy.
- I have completed following CPD courses online:
- A Mindfulness Masterclass – 2018
- Neuroplasticity and Mindfulness – 2018
- A practitioner level Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) course – 2019
- A CBT course for depression, anxiety, panic attacks and phobias – 2019
- Mindfulness and Compassion Global Summit 2020 – 4th to 6th June
- Prior to taking on this role, I have been a successful hospital doctor delivering a quality diagnostic service in the NHS for 14 years. But felt something was amiss!
- I developed interest in lifestyle medicine and mindfulness as scientifically proven to improve health and wellbeing using a non-medication approach. Lifestyle related diseases such as Hypertension, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome are common worldwide. They are significantly modifiable and possibly preventable through adoption of a healthy lifestyle.
- Preventative measures and holistic approaches are increasingly advocated in healthcare.
- Life style modifications like healthy diet, exercise, sleep improvement and positive mental health through mindfulness and yoga are widely implemented to improve health and wellbeing.
- The benefits of practicing mindfulness are backed by a multitude of scientific studies.
- Stress management, adequate sleep and healthy relations are three of the important pillars of lifestyle medicine, which mainly focuses on six areas to improve health. The other three being nutrition, exercise and cessation of tobacco and alcohol.
- Mindfulness helps with stress management, sleep deprivation and nurturing healthy relations, three of the important pillars of lifestyle medicine, along with several other benefits as listed on the benefits and neuroscience page.
- After experiencing the life transforming benefits of practicing mindfulness first hand, I wish to integrate mindfulness widely in the communities and healthcare to enhance mental, physical and emotional wellbeing of individuals.
- The mind and body link on improving health has been well established.
- That’s right- Healthy mind leads to a healthy body and healthy life!
- I offer personalised one to one therapy sessions catering to individual needs and also work with small groups.
- All you need is the desire to take control of your life and willingness to engage.